Monday, August 3, 2009

5 Reasons Exercise is Good for the Skin

Part 1: 5 Benefits of Exercise to Our Skin

As I decided to shape my body, two things that I implemented into my daily habits have dramatically changed my life. Two things are, eating healthy and proper exercise. If you expected something special and unusual, I apologize. However, miracle happens from what we already know and this is so true. In this article, I would like to share the good news of exercise and how it can benefit our skin. My next article will focus on how my changed diet has affected my skin.

I tended to be extremely lazy when it comes to exercise. But I have always wanted to be in an excellent shape like a model. I was just not determined or disciplined enough to take into action. For about 10 years, I repeated I "will" start losing weight "tomorrow." You see the problem here. Tomorrow.... Tomorrow never came to me until I had a will to change my life. After 10 years of consecutive failures of bringing actions into life, I finally started on July 9th, 2009. My sole motivation was to be in a great shape with bikini. But I notice now that this new life style also changes my skin.

Today is July 30th. Three weeks passed since I started. I can already see the results of my body trimmed down progressively. (I will post my in progress pictures when I achieve my body goal, hopefully by the end of this year :) ). But I can also see the changes of my skin condition.

The image of exercise is to lose weight only. Not many people realize that a regular exercise involving weight training, cardio and stretching could improve our skin look healthy and youthful along with body change. Then, what doe exercise do to our skin? How can it improve our skin?

5 Benefits of Exercise to Our Skin

1. Benefits to Acne-prone Skin (Anti-Acne)

David Berman, MD, medical director and dermatologic/cosmetic surgeon at the Berman Skin Institute, Palo Alto, Calif., and former chief of dermatology at Santa Clara County Hospital says that "There's a lot of indirect evidence that shows that when you exercise your level of stress diminishes. So your adrenal glands are producing less of these male-type hormones that are part of any acne flare-up." Most of you have probably experienced that when you were extremely stressed out, breakouts appeared on your face. Reduced stress level tends to calm the adrenals, which contributes to acne. Controlled adrenals helps control acne.

2. Benefits to Enlarged Pores (Pore Management)

Both intensive weight training and cardio exercises makes us sweat. Sweating can unclog pores that can lower the probability of appearing breakouts. As I mentioned in the article, "5 Methods and Tips to Reduce Pores", clogged pores are the main reasons for pimples and breakouts.

3. Benefits to Aged Skin & Wrinkled Skin (Anti-Aging)

Did you know that a regular exercise can slow the process of aging of your skin? As we are aged, the fibroblasts, collagen-producing cells, become less in numbers and lazy. As a result, our skin becomes inelastic, wrinkly and saggy. Collagen is the main protein of connective tissue and makes up about 25% to 35% of the whole-body protein content and is directly related to wrinkles, aged skin and fine lines. But people with regular exercise routine have much younger looking. Why is that? Both weight training and cardio (stairs, treadmill, elliptical, cycling, hiking etc) influence natural production of collagen. Exercise also infuses skin cells with oxygen and other nutrients. This greatly promotes the production of collagen. While we haven't thought of exercise as being anti-aging effective, experts agreed that it is effective in slowing the aging of our skin.

4. Benefits to Cellulite (Reducing cellulite)

Well known benefits of weight training and cardio is to reduce cellulite around buttocks, backs of thighs, and upper arms. With less cellulite, your overall body skin will look firmer and tightened. Toning and pulling muscles with weight training and cardio are great ways to reduce cellulite. Let's have a firmer body skin with exercise!

5. Benefits to Skin with Impurities and Toxins (Cleansing Effects)

Our skin is accumulated with toxins from chemicals, dirt, impurities and wastes daily. So it's important to cleanse the proper way for different types of skin as there are far too many that still cleanse incorrectly.

Cardio (aerobic) exercises such as stair climbing, cycling, walking, jogging or elliptical promote blood circulation. Better circulation removes toxins in our skin more effectively. Furthermore, before and after your exercise, it is very important to hydrate your body. Enough water allows your body to have active blood flow, which in turn eliminates impurities and wastes on our skin. I drink 1 cup of water before, 3-4 cups during, and 2 cups of water after the exercise.

I've been exercising for over 3 weeks now. My body has already started changing, and the best part of my changed life style is my much clearer and smooth facial skin. I will get back to you with the benefits of healthy diet to our skin